Sunday, June 24, 2018

Special Olympics Missouri Sports Camp 6-17-18 to 6-22-18

WOW!! What a week I had at Special Olympics Missouri Sports Camp! Jesse and myself, always have a blast when we go to sports camp, but it's very tiring when we come back, but it's totally worth it! This year there weren't as many athletes that usually come in the past, but I'm glad I saw some younger athletes this time, it give them exposure what sports camp is. I think that is awesome, hope to see them at the next sports camp next year. Jesse and myself was on the same team, our team was called Royals, there were mostly team MO athletes, we had athletics (track and field), swimmers, bocce athletes, tennis athlete. This year the sports we participated in was, kickball, fishing, swimming, tennis, golf, flag football (which Jesse and I and the rest of team MO didn't participate in because we trained for the USA games) and they introduced a new sport, floorball, (someone from Texas came to camp and spend some days and taught us), disc golf. Everyday was the same schedule. On Thursday, I got to help Carol Griffin at healthy athletes. I got to pass out my surveys and help them explain what healthy eating is. So that was exciting! I did four times, because there was four teams. Some of the coaches said I did a great job presenting, so that was awesome to hear. We also tye dye shirts, that was a lot of fun! We were post to play softball for an evening activity, but that didn't happen, because of the rain. But maybe next time. My roommate was Emily Carroll, she is my teammate for TEAM USA for athletics, so that was fun rooming with her! One of the highlights I had at sports camp was when Jesse figured a way to serve the Tennis ball, that was so exciting to see! He was so happy, that he wanted to show Susan (the director of SOMO and for camp) I also got interviewed from someone in Columbia. So that was exciting. We usually have a relay night, but that didn't happen, again because of the rain. Instead, all of us went to the cafeteria and played card, and board games, some of the girls got their nails painted, it was neat how they did that. Coach Michelle showed us how to play a card game called "Garbage" it was interesting. The meals was very good. I had tuna and salad at every dinner, I think it was just me, that I thought it was healthy this time around, because I been eating healthy, maybe it was healthy in the past and I didn't notice. lol After one of the dinners, one athlete from Kirksville, his name is Ethan, he gave a speech about ALPs (Athlete Leadership Program's) he did a GREAT job! And at every meal time, an athlete from Columbia played the piano, and he played so beautifully. Everyone really enjoyed it! The dance on Thursday night was fun, I had a Michael Jackson shirt, I got a lot of people commented on the shirt. Jesse had a great time at the dance, he could danced all night, if he could! He sure did had his dancing shoes on! There was a lot of people on the dance floor and there was a good amount of people talking and sitting down and visiting. I packed up on Wednesday, and Thursday. I think I'm weird because I like to do get things down and not wait for the last minute. My mom always tells me that I should've been a girl scout. lol. We had two days to fish, and I caught a blue gill and I think Jesse did too, next year, my goal is to catch a catch fish. lol We also had a kickball tournament, and that was fun! I also got to help coach Peggy by being in her training video for new coaches that are coaching Tennis, so that was fun, I wasn't really good at tennis, but that's okay. When we had our track and field training sessions in the morning, we practiced our events we are doing at the USA games, I think I did pretty well, well...everyone did an awesome job! I wanted to practice my 200 meter run, I'm so nervous to do that event. But I did a pretty good job on it. Now! I think I'm ready to run it! I'm surprised my movband counted every steps I did everyday. I was worried that the movband wouldn't recorded the steps. Everyday Coach Michelle and I had this friendly competition who would get the most steps in that day, that was fun! Thanks Coach Michelle for pushing me to get my steps in! At every R & R time, I slept an hr every day, and at the end of the day, I fell right to sleep right away! I was exhausted, and I'm still exhausted, but I'm catching up! Please enjoy the pics! I'm getting ready for the National Games, which is like....5 days away!!! 
Brett practicing the 1x400 relay 



Coach Mary & I
Coach Emily & I
Coach Michelle & I
Shaquanna & I 
Isiah & I 



The shirt we got for completing sports camp for a week
Shirt I got for helping with Healthy Athlete

Jesse's blue gill fish
the fish I caught blue gill 
 


Shaquana practicing her event for USA games

Royals group





Emily playing tennis
I'm tempting hitting the tennis ball lol

Healthy Athletes










Cardinals group


Jesse practicing his walk for the USA games
I'm doing a presentation about Healthy Athletes


Emily practicing her walk for the USA games

Jesse & Brett playing Floor Ball

Dustin & I playing Tennis
Jesse playing golf



This is how many steps I took the week
Our group was the Royals
Royals was our group

No comments:

Post a Comment